Sunday, January 13, 2008

The unending socks


I've hit a black hole in my quest to knit myself a pair of Jaywalkers. I understand why the pattern is so popular, it makes an interesting use of self-striping yarn, but the fabric ends up so stiff and non-stretchy, I don't think I'll be knitting another. The second sock is taking forever. I also need to shorten the first sock, it ended up a little long. I had hoped to be through with it this weekend, but that ain't happening.


I will swatch for the Everest vest and for Emerald. I'm generally a one or two project girl, a big one and a small one. I'm using Shamrock from Knitpicks for Emerald : I wasn't sure about it in the ball, but it sure looks great knitted up. It is a little rough and doesn't look like it will have much drape, which should work for such a heavy cardigan. For Everest, I'll be using Plymouth Galway in a purle-y colourway. I've been wanting a vest for a while. I'll make it tight but not too form-fitting.


I visited the new yarn shop in Montreal, Ariane Knits. I like that they have yarns that are different from those sold at Effiloché, my other favorite yarn shop in Montreal. I got some Opal sock yarn, for a pair of Broadripple socks. I saw a pair on Ravelry in this exact colorway and fell in love. I also got 5 skeins of cascade 220 in bright purple, I have no clue what I'll do with it.


No comments: